Sunday, June 3, 2012

Becoming Real


I've been thinking a lot lately about the pace of things and the energy it takes to create something that has meaning to you and that you feel has quality.  I sometimes wonder if, because I'm not as speedy as some and it takes a lot to keep my energy balanced, I'm not the "real thing" or I don't have what it takes to be successful in a quickly changing and pretty competitive market.  


As I  use every ounce of the dwindling energy I have to close out the school year, I worry a bit.  And then  I'm reminded of a lesson I did with a group of second graders earlier this year in which we read and discussed "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams. It's amazing the depth to which 7 year olds can discuss a piece of literature, and I'm often struck by the value children's stories can have for adults.


Here is what the Skin Horse says to the Velveteen Rabbit when he asks about how one becomes real:

"It doesn't happen all at once...You become.  It takes a long time.  That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.  Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby.  But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

To create something of use and quality--something worth doing--often takes time.  If we seek excellence, we have to have patience with the process and with ourselves.

The Internal Luminosity logo is completed, and I'm very happy with it! I was tempted to share it with you here, but I decided to be patient and share the whole package with you.  We've moved on to the blog, and I love the promise of tying everything together to create a cohesive package.  I'm one step closer to bringing everything to fruition and becoming a little more real.

Please remain curious!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. It really is amazing what wisdom these children's books have for us. Maybe if parents read more to their kids they would be enlightened or inspired and pass it on and refer to the stories often.

    ReplyDelete