Saturday, January 14, 2012

What's the Donut?

It's my birthday.  It's not one of those vague in-between years.  Rather, it is a very definitive 4 and 5.  One way to look at this is to say I am no longer 40-something, but I am right in the middle of this decade looking 50 square in the eye.  Age has never really bothered me that much, but 50 seems significant as there is no denying that my life is, at best, half over. That's one way to look at it.

But as I try to make a habit of looking at the donut and not the hole, I recognize that it is all a state of mind.  I have to look no further than my incredibly agile, sharp and active mother of nearly 83 to stop short any whining that might want to creep in.  We define our age.

So, indulge me, won't you? Whatever age you are (no need to reveal it if you would rather not, but it would add perspective), post something here that you feel is an advantage of being one year older.  The side benefit is that I have a goal of reaching 2000 page views on my birthday weekend--a milestone to celebrate a milestone!

Let's call it the Donut List. I'll start...

At age 45, I care less about pleasing others and feel a greater urgency to fully live in the way that brings me the most joy. 


Next...

8 comments:

  1. At the age I am (for 3 more days!), I feel it's awesome just to wake up. ;^) j/j Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Curt, you're not that age anymore! Waking up is, indeed, a gift. Please do continue to do so :).

      Delete
  2. at the age of 27, I can look back and say that this year has not been nearly as unproductive as year 26. I have the gift of retrospective viewing, which was still abstract to me in my 26th year. this also allows me to accomplish so much more and be aware of the time that has passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Meghan, that awareness, should you choose it, is one of the great benefits of another year. At all of my ages so far it has continued to be a challenge, but at the same time presents itself in an ever greater amount of abundance. Thanks for your perspective!

      Delete
  3. Great news! From a 51 year old, you will be happy to know that as the years roll by you will care even less about pleasing others, not give a s*** what others think (I would think it would be exhausting to try to fit in this superficial society anyway), and find that living fully and joyfully isn't as difficult as you thought it was. Old age is liberating! Happy birthday and best wishes for a luminous year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,let's call it...older age! Thank you, Nancy, for the encouragement and the insight.

      Delete
  4. I think that it is a privilege to grow old.... and even more so if you manage to find someone with which to do it while remaining true to yourself. There will always be times that test our tenacity, times that will resonate a happiness that lasts, and times that force us from comfort to grow in ways we never anticipated. I have found that on multiple occasions I look back and think that I am not where I would like to be in my journey. But I also find that I don't know where I would like the journey to go. Maybe, growing older is what shows us that the journey is ever changing and that if you can learn to embrace the unknown, then you wont be disappointed by what you thought you knew or what you had anticipated. Change is the only certainty in life - so maybe by letting go of some of the should be's or could be's - we can find that anything is possible - regardless of age; because the number is a restriction we put on ourselves, but the experiences therein are what can break us free of those confines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me, 683 Design, of an explanation of physical pain that declares that much of what we experience as pain is actually caused by our resistance to pain. Likewise, it's almost as if much of what causes us psychic pain is the resistance to what we fear will be psychologically painful. We can't control what happens in life, so we may be saving ourselves some pain by surrendering to the current. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete