Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Incubation: A Creative Leap of Faith


                                                                      Photo Kim Cabotaje, 2012

Ever wonder why some of your best ideas come to you in the shower, upon waking in the middle of the night or when you are not intensely focusing on the problem, issue or idea at hand?  In the creative process, this is what is known as incubation—a period of time when the mind does not appear to be actively engaged in problem solving or creating but a kind of synthesis is occurring behind the scenes.  Like the seed you push into the carefully prepared soil that seems to lie stagnant for days and then spontaneously appears at the earth’s surface rapidly pushing up a stem and then leaves and then ultimately a lush bloom, your idea needs time to grow and to take shape. 

So, when you have pushed your thinking to the limit, and the soil of your mind has been plowed, fertilized and sowed, take a rest.  Listen to music, read for pleasure, take a walk or a nap and trust that the creative process is underway and the product of all your preparation will present itself in good time and quite possibly when you least expect it.

Do you allow yourself time away from the intensity of active thinking and problem solving?  Do you give your brain the time and space it needs to create?

4 comments:

  1. Another great piece!

    Do you allow yourself time away from the intensity of active thinking and problem solving?

    YES, yes, yes! I need that "down time." That time to just "be." I have discovered that without that "down time," I often spin my wheels and frustration comes (a perfect example, a blog written in the early am, AFTER a full nights sleep).


    Do you give your brain the time and space it needs to create?

    ZOMG, yes. I need some creative outlet. So, in addition to letting creativity happen organically, I also schedule "UNAVAILABLE" time to "art." Admittedly, most of my sketches are ...well, let's just say, I've seen better kindergarten cork board art, but it makes me happy, so.... :-)

    I do like the picture you've painted with the seed analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a bit of your process, Drew. I like your comment about letting your creativity unfold as well as scheduling it. It reminds me of my own recognition that within structure great freedom is found. I am not by nature a super Type A radically organized person. However, I do like a degree of order and having it allows me to relax and cut loose a bit. Sounds paradoxical but really works for me. Have you ever worked with mandalas? If not, I think you might really like creating them :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of "time to 'art'". I need to try that.. sketching or creating something --anything. What are mandalas? I love my walks on the beach, but I don't like the fact that I often can't just enjoy the moment and am thinking, planning, solving, fretting, worrying....not just being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...perhaps a spring break mandala making session in the gardens is in order...I think you might like it, Nancy! Art making meditation.

      Delete