Friday, August 5, 2011

My Dog As Trainer

This past spring, I decided that I either needed to use the gym membership that I’d had for nearly a year or cancel it.  To test my willingness to commit, I took advantage of the free sessions with a trainer.  I went in and explained that I wanted a very basic routine that would work all the muscle groups and that I could do a minimum of two times a week.  I knew myself and I had to start slow and increase at my own pace or I would not stick to it.  I get very uncomfortable if my illusion of self-control is threatened.

My trainer seemed very knowledgeable and was likable, so I followed her instructions.  The first visit was leisurely and non-threatening. The second visit was a good bit more strenuous and felt like I was really pushing my limits.  I didn’t complain, good student that I am, and I kept reminding myself that my nephew and step-son were both in basic training in the hot, hot south, so the least I could do was endure a little workout.  I finished, went home and literally collapsed on my bedroom floor.  I couldn’t lift my arms up for a good hour and felt like I just might puke.  The fact is that I’m not sure that my trainer, well intentioned as she was, really heard my request and I didn’t listen to myself because I kept on going.  Not to mention that my nephew and step-son are both 25 years my junior.  I cancelled my gym membership.

Here’s what I did instead.  I started walking my dog, Tuck.  He lost his two canine sisters last fall and with the long cold winter and his sudden unwillingness to stay outside alone, he spent a good deal of time inside, hunkered down with us.  The middle age spread was getting the best of both of us, and it was time we did something.  So, without any other agenda than to get out and walk, we began.  First we walked 20-25 minutes just to build up some endurance and we quickly kicked up our activity level.  I am proud to say that, as of today, we have walked 43 out of the past 46 days.  The only days we haven’t walked are when I was out of town, and for some time now we’ve been walking an average of 40 minutes a day.  I may not be on the road to super fit and toned, but we now have a habit that I hardly think twice about, I feel great and I’m looking forward to taking on some more strenuous activities.

I started to think about how my dog Tuck is the ideal trainer for me.  He’s super motivated and doesn’t ever let me cop out, but he’s also ultimately in it for feeling good and having fun. His philosophy seems to be push hard at the beginning and go for as long as you can—you can always slow down when you get too tired.  Balance is preferable as long as you’re moving.  Sometimes a disciplined walk is desirable but sometimes wandering through the woods is good, too.  While on your walk, think only about the present moment or you’ll miss the experience all together (which is probably why he never lets me get a good picture of him!).  Don’t waste time planning, calculating and recording your progress.  Just get out and do it, and let the experience of the natural high propel you to your next outing.

In the end, you are the expert on you.  Partnering with someone can be a tremendous help with motivation and staying honest in your efforts to make improvements.  However, you have to make sure that the partner you choose listens and that you’re willing to make yourself heard.  And if it turns out that the ideal partner is unconventional, perhaps, all the better!  For you see, dogs can be trainers, too!


From what unexpected places have you found a source of motivation?  When has trusting what you know about yourself paid off?

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of unexpected places I have gotten motivation, but I would like to find out how to motivate myself to do certain things. Maybe if I convince myself that it is something I want to do instead of something I should do or have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...have you ever heard the expression, "Stop shoulding on yourself?" No one likes to be should on. What's the payoff if you choose to do something? What's the risk if you don't?

    ReplyDelete