Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Value of Unplugging

                                                                                          Kim Bielmann Cabotaje 2011                                                                            


In an age of technological connectivity, disconnecting can be very difficult if not darn near impossible.  On top of that, if you are someone who is compelled to constantly look for connections between words, facts, behaviors, experiences, etc., being technologically plugged in may just intensify this experience.  What if you were to unplug?

I recently read an article that said that a majority of Americans don’t use their vacation time and those who do spend a lot of it answering e-mails and taking calls from work.  This article also suggested that a long weekend is not restorative and that ideally, to get the rest we need, we should aim for two consecutive weeks of vacation.  Sound like pie in the sky?  Ask yourself, “What is it costing me not to take time to rest and recreate?  What is the value of unplugging?”

I’ve been fairly disconnected, with the exception of a little photo swapping and family phone calls, for nearly a week.  I’m spending time with my brother and sister-in-law, my young nephew and their doggie in Houston.  It’s a great place with lots to do and see, but we’ve done very little.  We’ve eaten good food, played a little virtual frisbee golf, watched some movies, danced around the house and gone for a walk.  I couldn’t ask for a better vacation.  In addition to enjoying time with my family, for the first time in months and months, I feel completely rested and nearly worry-free.  I couldn’t have achieved that in a long weekend or at home where I’m constantly reminded of projects and obligations, and it’s easy for someone to request a bit of my time.

If I had a second week, I would definitely have the energy to go and do.  As it is, when I head home I’ll have just about a week before I leap into all of the intensities of a new work year, and I already have several appointments scheduled for that week.  To make the best use of my rested mind and still body, I’m asking myself these questions: What have I comfortably done without that I was previously defining as essential, and how can I protect the time and space that not having/doing those things leaves me?  What steps can I take to avoid letting the productivity:leisure ratio get so out of balance?  What promises to myself do I need to make and keep before promising my time and skills to others?

When is the last time you really unplugged?  What is it costing you to wait any longer?

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate! I was fortunate enough to be on an unplugged vacation for a month and I tried very hard not to fall back into that trap when I got back.

    ReplyDelete