Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Winter Solstice!

                                                                         Kim Bielmann Cabotaje 2010

On this dark day I remind myself that, from this point on, it stays lighter a little longer each day.  It's a matter of perspective, you see.

I like to take a minute to be still in the bustle of the holidays to acknowledge the passing of fall and the beginning of winter.  In fact, I look forward to fully immersing myself in winter following the holidays.  In winter I like how the cold days give me a reason to stay snuggled in bed to read a little longer.  I look forward to taking the dog for a walk on a brisk day and noticing how very quiet everything around me is.  I pay attention to how much further you can see in the landscape when it's mostly just the bones of trees between you and what's off in the distance.  I like having the time to dream about what I will plant in my garden in the springtime.  I relish the permission to slow down.

What will you take time to notice on this, the first day of winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment