Friday, July 15, 2011

The Gift of Presence

While on my morning walk today, along the water's edge at the back of a wooded field, I came upon an enormous turkey vulture sitting atop the remains of a broken tree trunk just twenty feet away.  I pulled my camera from my pocket and tried to quiet the dog as I moved toward it.  The bird stirred, and I noticed there were two more.  They quickly flew to a higher spot in the near trees.  I snapped a shot but something happened and the picture was gone.  Again, I tried to move closer while holding dog and camera.  One of the birds sat on a long branch with its wings outstretched to reveal its amazing wingspan.  Again, I tried to get a picture.  These creatures were not to be photographed, however, and they took flight.  I thought to myself, "In my urgency to take a picture, I missed the whole thing!"

This reminded me of a beautiful fall, many years ago, when the turning leaves were more brilliant than I had seen before or have experienced since.  Nearly every day I would go for long walks to take in the color.  I considered carrying my camera but decided that I would rather fully experience my entire surroundings than focus on small details while searching for the perfect photo.  I don't have pictures to look back on, but I have vivid memories of my daily leaf collections and the crown I made from them for a Halloween celebration--the memory of being fully present during a time that has yet to be repeated.

It would have been great to have a photo to share with this post, but as it is I'm writing about the experience that I almost had rather than what I could have actually fully taken in.  What is the most memorable experience you have had with being fully present?  How can you become more open to such experiences more frequently?

2 comments:

  1. when I get back, remind me to tell you about "the hill" on an island we just visited. It was transformational. the pictures don't do the experience justice, but at least a photo will remind me how wonderful it is to be fully present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about it, my adventuring friend! Were you expecting it to be transformational or did it just happen for you?

    ReplyDelete