Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Great Accomplishment of Nothing At All


At a cookout recently, everyone was sitting outside around a table on a great fall afternoon and my friend's young daughter was appealing to one of the guests to do something with her.  She was feeling bored and wanted to have fun.  He told her to enjoy having nothing to worry about--your job, the mortgage--while she could.  I added that sometimes the best something to do is nothing at all.  She was not impressed.

Think about it, though.  How would our days be different if we viewed doing nothing as an accomplishment?   I have an achievement orientation which means I tend to judge the quality of my days by what I've accomplished.  I feel good when I can think about the day and all of the good stuff I've gotten done.  Sound familiar?  What if we nestled in among all of our tasks and go-go chores time doing absolutely nothing and then checked it off of our list with a sense of achievement?

How easy is it for you to do nothing at all?  If you're accomplished at doing nothing, what tips can you share?

6 comments:

  1. WOW! This is perfect timing. I did just that today. After dealing with a particularly difficult person today, I literally cleared my schedule to do NOTHING. IT was WONDERFUL. I read, listened to music, cleaned the car, took the dog for a walk, took a few snaps... "But, you said nothing drew." To me those things where I do not have to answer to anyone, where I have no pressing deadline...those things are "nothing."

    Oh, BTW, I blot out "nothing" time on my calendar. And I treat that block as importantly as I do any "real" meeting. Because it is CRITICAL that I have a moment or 60 to recharge and centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm often struck by your comments, Drew, that it seems you are confident about what you require to take care of yourself. I admire that you state these things (your boundaries, your need to have time to yourself, etc.) as facts without apology or need to explain. The suggestion that we give equal value to literally scheduling "nothing" time is a great one. Then you can say, "Sorry, I've got an appointment at that time" and it's guilt-free and honest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really good at doing nothing when it comes to certain things or certain times. Must have to do with my procrastination curse. There are some times I view my ability to do nothing as a blessing and at other times it's a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intensely working or intensely relaxing, Nancy. In a sense, I don't feel like I fully experience either unless I am intensely engaged. We should test it to see what degree of intensity is necessary to get the benefit--in all our spare time!

    The idea of a curse is a belief--a mindset that can color your experience of all kinds of things. It can also be changed. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "First, do no harm"...if I can say that every night then I've had a good day. If I have helped another person in any way, even if I've made them laugh in an otherwise difficult situation, then I've had a GREAT day. Agendas, plans, all ridiculous to me. In the end, forgive me for this one, it's just dust in the wind. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that philosophy, RobYn! There is a certain skill to fitting into structures that are created for us, but I agree I don't always find it natural. In fact, when it starts to feel too free of struggle, I wonder how much of myself I'm giving up to "fit in". I might add "first do no harm to yourself or others.". That's got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete